Saturday, May 4, 2013

Questions and Answers


Interview with Dr. Jan Rivero from Stop Hunger Now
Dr. Rivero, 
Thank you so much for the fast reply and being willing to help with my paper. Email will probably work best for me as my schedule isn't very solid right now. I saw on the Stop Hunger Now website that your organization has helped 76 countries with food. How were these countries chosen, and is Stop Hunger Now planning to continue branching out and helping more countries? I'm aware that the biggest majority of poverty and hunger is in developing worlds, but is it safe to say that every country has a problem with poverty and hunger?
I may have more questions later, as I am still working on the research for my paper. Again, thank you for helping me with my paper. It is greatly appreciated.

Good morning, Heather,
To answer your questions:
We do not choose countries per se. We choose organizations that are operating internationally, though we track the countries they are in. Those organizations must submit an application to receive our meals. They have several criteria they are required to meet in order to be approved.  Our selection process does not mandate which countries are served, so it is safe to say that our reach is able to extend to more countries. In fact, just last year we added India to our list. Additional countries are added as applications are approved. 
Yes, I think it is safe to safe that hunger is truly a global reality and not restricted to developing countries. Of course it is more pervasive and severe in those countries as opposed to the industrialized ones.  
Let me know what other questions you have. I'm more than happy to help.
Have a good weekend,
Jan

Interview with David Proctor from The Idaho Food Bank
HC: Thank you so much for taking some time to answer some questions for my paper. I honestly was not expecting such a quick response so I don't have all the questions I would like to ask lined out yet. One of my biggest questions is, do you happen to know about how many people in the Treasure Valley area are unable to provide food for themselves or their families and how many are signed up with the food bank for assistance? Another question I have is, is the food bank able to help all of these families and people with the donations they are receiving or are there times where they fall short? I will probably have some more questions later if that is alright, I am still trying to piece together what all I want for my paper.

DP: Heather, I’m going to throw a lot of information at you, so tell me if you don’t get it.
If you look at the second link I provided, you will see a county-by-county list of the number of food-insecure people in each one. You can determine how many counties you want to include in the Treasure Valley and add them up. The definition of food insecurity is at the bottom of the page you get with the third link.
The first link explains how food banking works. You’ll see that people don’t sign up with us, or with any of our partners. That’s not how food banking works, except at the holidays when families sign up for turkeys. They get food when they ask for it, within the limits each partner establishes. But we know from what they tell us that they can’t meet the need they see. They can’t give families all the food they need. For direct confirmation, I would contact one (or more) of our  partner agencies – see the fourth link.
I hope that helps get you started. 

HC: Thank you! That should give me a good start on my paper! Would it be alright for me to email you again if I have anymore questions?

DP: Of course. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment